Procrastination

We have all suffered from procrastination and the associated consequences of it at some time in our lives.   Procrastination ranges from putting something off because we are too busy today, or putting it off for weeks and months because the task seems too overwhelming.  Literally, procrastination means 'to put off doing something until later; to delay'... the reason why we delay doing tasks is irrelevant.  So what is the difference between putting things off and procrastination?  The main distinguishing factor is the degree of discomfort procrastination causes and the repercussions from it in your life.

Procrastination becomes a problem when delaying tasks leads to internal and/or external consequences.  The external consequence may be minor or severe, from missing a meeting to losing your job.  The internal consequences also range from minor to severe, from mild discomfort to guilt, shame, self-condemnation and despair.

Some people thrive under pressure, they are constantly starting new projects and activities, unfinished projects and delay does not cause them stress or discomfort.  They enjoy their fast-paced life.   There are others who prefer to be laid-back and easy-going.  They take things slow and easy and don't mind putting things off.  Then there are those who are troubled by unfinished tasks.  They do not enjoy living from dead-line to dead-line, and feel uncomfortable when tasks remain undone.  Procrastination becomes a problem for them.

We also choose to procrastinate at times, especially when a task is not high on our priority list and putting it off does not cause stress or discomfort.  Sometimes putting off a task is used as a time to think and reflect over decisions that need to be made before tackling that task.  For some decision-making is also problematic and they procrastinate to avoid making decisions.

Wouldn't it be great if scientists found a procrastination gene!  We would be free of the discomfort and anguish caused by it.  Unfortunately they have not come across such a thing.  So we are left with trying to figure out where it comes from and what we can do to overcome it.

Procrastination is a habit, a learned response to anxiety-producing situations or tasks.  It is an avoidant behavior we adopt when we are to do a task which reflects our abilities and we feel afraid/anxious that we will not measure up.

What are we afraid of?  What are we trying to avoid?  What criteria are we trying to measure up against?
One of the the reason that procrastinators have such a difficult time is that they have very unrealistic expectations of themselves.  The standards they set for themselves are impractical and impossible.  They expect perfection and do not allow for any mistakes or errors.  The belief system that they operate with is impossible and unrealistic.   

Some of these unconscious beliefs are:
            'I must do everything right.'
            'Everything I do should be easy and without effort.'
            'If it is not done right it is not worth doing at all.'
            'I cannot make a mistake.'
            'I cannot disappoint anyone.'  (or hurt, anger, displease)
            'I must be right.'
            'I must be perfect.'  (the task must be perfect)
            'If I let my true self be known people won't like me.'

Some of these beliefs may seem to make sense at a superficial glance, but if you think about them for a while you will see how limiting and restrictive they are.  Anyone who is aiming to 'be perfect or right' will end up being paralyzed and unable to move out of their stuck place.  These assumptions are usually based on self-criticism and fear.  This type of a belief system keeps them from moving beyond the obstacles that they create for themselves. 
People often engage in self-defeating and self-sabotaging behaviors when confronted with situations that trigger deep-seated fears.  Procrastination is one of these self-sabotaging activities.  Beery (1) in his study found that people who fear failure live with assumptions that make striving for success into a frightening ordeal.  These assumptions are
        'What I produce is a direct reflection of how much ability I have.'
        'My level of ability determines how worthwhile I am as a person.'
thus leading to the conclusion that:
        'What I produce reflects my self-worth.'
 
Beery puts this belief system into the following equation:
        Self-worth = Ability + Performance

He explains procrastination as an attempt at breaking the equation between ability and performance. 
        Self-worth = Ability / Procrastination / Performance

In this equation, procrastination is then the 'tool' used to sabotage one's performance, as performance combined with one's ability would reflect one's self-worth.  What ends up happening is that if I procrastinate long enough to do a certain task, so that I end up doing it at the last minute.. then I can use it as an excuse if it is not good enough, thus convincing myself that it really does not reflect my abilities.. because if I had the time I could do a much better job.  This protects my illusions about my abilities and self-worth.  As long as I procrastinate I don't have to face the truth about my abilities and self-worth.  (I can continue believing that I am brilliant ;-)

Let's make matters worse still... People who worry about being judged as inadequate and unworthy usually believe that they are inadequate and unworthy.  They go to great lengths to keep from uncovering that truth about themselves...  for underlying that fear is the belief that if they are not adequate and not worthy, then they are not lovable also.  If I believe that being loved is based on my ability to do well, then I risk to lose too much by finding out that I lack the ability to do so.  If I believe that I am loved only if I am capable then who would love me if I don't do well?  Like the layers of an onion, you peel away one layer of fear and find another underneath it.  

Repercussions of procrastination are less threatening to my psyche than realizing that I may be worthless, incapable and unlovable.  It is easier to handle my own condemnation of being lazy, slow and unorganized, etc. than to recognize that underlying all this is the insecurity of finding out that I am unworthy and unlovable.  
Fear of failure or of success, cultural limitations or imagined disabilities all contribute to a person holding them self back for fear of finding out that they will fall short and thus it will prove without a shadow of a doubt that they are worthless individuals.  

Next time you get into your procrastination mode, examine it, figure out your own cycle of procrastination.. how do you talk yourself out of doing something that feels interesting but daunting?  Do you start off with great intentions and plans, and then slowly talk yourself out of it?  Do you start resenting the task?  Do you start getting irritated with yourself?  How does your cycle of procrastination unfold itself?

Then ask yourself... What if I cannot do it?  What would that say about me?  Uncover your own fears for yourself.  Find out the underlying doubts.  Keep peeling the layers with similar questions.  You may be surprised at what you find.. AND you may be surprised at how irrational that fear is.  Ask yourself what you are trying to avoid?  What would you have to change about yourself to overcome this problem?  Are you willing to risk change and growth?  Listen to your own explanations.  Evaluate them without judging them.  Do they sound like excuses?  Remember, the goal of this exercise is to understand yourself, not to criticize or belittle yourself.  Spend a few weeks studying yourself objectively.  What irrational beliefs about yourself do you have?

Once you are able to see your own faulty belief system then you can work on changing it.  Ask yourself if you want to continue living with that belief and the problems it creates in your life.  You do have a choice about the beliefs you want to live with.  Are you willing to take the steps to change?  Finally, start making changes despite the fears and doubts.  Expect ups and downs and continue.  You will notice the changes in yourself.
 


References
Beery, R.G.  Fear of Failure in the Student Experience.  Personnel and Guidance Journal.  1975  pg. 190-203
Burka, J.B.  & Yuen, L.M.  Procrastination   Addison Wesley  1983

© 1999  published in www.crescentlife.com